Y'all. I've hit the muddy middle. Anyone that's written anything knows that there comes a point when you start to question everything. Here's what I've been thinking this week:
* Why did I even think I could do this?
* God, this story sucks.
* This is going straight to the file cabinet of broken dreams.
* Any agent I query this to is going to laugh and tell me I never should have even tried.
* I should quit this one and start that new project I thought of in the shower.
* I HATE YOU MC! YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING I TELL YOU!
* I'm the worst writer to ever write. Ever.
* I can always quit.
It's so tempting. It's so tempting to shelve this project and start something new. That new shiny idea full of life-like, obedient characters, fully rounded and waiting for me.
But I'm committed this time. I will write something in this book every day, with a goal to meet or exceed my word count target every day. Right now, that means just over 900 words every week day to meet a total word count of 100,000 by June 1.
I will not lose myself in the muddy middle. I won't do it. Even if this book winds up the file cabinet of despair, I will finish it. I will finish this first draft.